VLAG stimulates PhD candidates to organise group excursions to research facilities abroad and in the Netherlands. These excursions contribute to broadening PhD candidates’ horizons, both from scientific and organizational points of view.
The PhD excursions are organised by a committee of PhD candidates. The motivation submitted by the PhD committee should include well-argued additional value of the excursion. Also, scientific staff members (thesis supervisors) are committed and are expected to accompany the PhD candidates.
PhD candidates receiving the grant have an approved VLAG Training and Supervision Plan (TSP) and research proposal. Each PhD candidate receives the VLAG support at most twice.
VLAG will provide each participating PhD candidate with a grant of €50 per scientific day (travel and sightseeing days do not count ) with a maximum of € 400 for an international excursion.
PhD excursions within the Netherlands can be subsidised if they are organised by a group of PhD candidates and last at least five days (only days including scientific content count). VLAG will provide each PhD candidate with a grant of €25 per scientific day with a maximum of €200.
TIP: For additional sponsoring please also consider the LEB Foundation
|~ 1 year before the excursion||Organisers||Request for VLAG funding using the application form: motivation, program, expected number of participants and budget (estimated costs and income incl. sponsoring)|
|~ 3 months before the excursion||Organisers||Provide final list of participants, program, and project number using the application form (final version)|
|Within 4 weeks after excursion||Organisers||Back to office report sent to VLAG. For the VLAG Newsletter: A (group) picture and a few sentences describing the highlights of the excursion|
|asap||VLAG office||Money transferred to chair group|
Contactperson: Vesna Prsic
Overview PhD excursions
- October 2021, the Netherlands - Laboratory of Food Chemistry
- February 2019, Israel - Organic Chemistry
- May 2019, China - Food Microbiology
- June 2019, USA - Microbiology & Systems and Synthetic Biology
- October 2019, Canada - Human Nutrition and Health
- February 2018, USA - Bioprocess Engineering
- April 2018, Sweden & Denmark - Biobased Chemistry & Technology, BioNanoTechnology
- May 2018, Indonesia - Physics and Physical Chemistry of Foods
- June 2018, Canada - Food Process Engineering
- July 2018, Japan - Toxicology
- October 2018, Australia - Food Quality and Design
- October 2018, Austria & Italy - Food Chemistry
- March 2017, Italy - Food Microbiology
- May 2017, Germany, Denmark & Sweden - Microbiology & Systems and Synthetic Biology
- October 2017, United Kingdom -Division of Human Nutrition
- May 2016, South Germany and Switzerland - Food Process Engineering
- October 2016, Japan - Laboratory of Food Chemistry
- October 2016, Italy - Food Quality and Design