How to apply for a PhD position?
To apply for a PhD position we would like to refer you to the Wageningen University website.
The information below is meant for enrolled PhD candidates at Wageningen University only;
I - Registration at the VLAG office
Before the start of your PhD project, you need to register at the VLAG office. For registration use the VLAG registration form. Make sure to check which documents are required during registration: Timetable for your PhD programme. The registration form and requirered documents can be send to VLAG office.
II - Educational Programme - Training and Supervision Plan
PhD candidates should spend 15% of their PhD research contract on their education programme. The arrangements regarding the contents of the educational programme are formalised within a Training and Supervision Plan (TSP). The TSP is an instrument providing statutory rights and obligations to the PhD candidate and the supervisors. The TSP contains:
A description of the educational programme of the PhD candidate. This part of the document should be seen as a declaration of intent and should be formulated upon consultation with the thesis supervisor.
- A description of the teaching responsibilities of the PhD candidate. Teaching duties consist of assistance during laboratory practicals and supervision of undergraduates.
- An agreement concerning the supervision provided by thesis supervisor and co-supervisor.
All PhD candidates are obliged to submit the TSP within 3 months after the start date.
For additional information on the TSP, click here.
III - Submitting PhD research proposal
As part of the formal admittance procedure a research proposal has to be submitted within 6 months. The VLAG Board decided to adjust the procedure for the research proposals for all PhD candidates who start as of January 1st 2020 as an important educational element of the PhD training programme. The template, procedure and the letter that has been sent to the VLAG PhD supervisors can be found below.
PhD research proposal documents:
IV - VLAG PhD Week
For new VLAG PhD candidates a special course is organised: the VLAG PhD week. This course is a compulsory part of the VLAG education programme.
Below an overview of links to important background information;
- General information about doing a PhD at Wageningen University and Research
- Authorship, citation and affiliation guidelines at WUR. This document describes the authorship, citation and affiliation guidelines with respect to publishing research results at Wageningen University & Research. The guidelines are based on the Netherlands Code of Conduct for Research Integrity
- Additional information/explanation on Confidential advice
- WGS Guide for PhD supervisors This guide on PhD supervision was developed by the Wageningen Graduate Schools to support supervisors in achieving efficient and effective supervision in current day academic practice. It provides an overview of the WU PhD programme, related terms and regulations, procedures, units involved, and what to do in the event of questions, concerns or complaints. Accordingly, it also provides a set of tips and tools for good supervision and ends with a PhD time table.
- At Wageningen University, all expertise in relation to Data Management support is represented at the Wageningen Data Competence Center. Here, you can find information on a wide range of topics like data management planning, managing your source code and publishing your final data. They also offer a course on data management planning.