The information below is meant for enrolled PhD candidates at Wageningen University only.
How to apply for a PhD position?
Starting a VLAG PhD project at Wageningen University -
Introduction and actions to be taken
I - Registration at the VLAG office
When you start your PhD project, please register at the VLAG office as soon as possible (preferably during the first week of your project). For registration use the VLAG registration form.
II - Submitting PhD research proposal
As part of the formal admittance procedure a research proposal has to be submitted within 6 months. The VLAG Board decided to adjust the procedure for the research proposals for all PhD candidates who start as of January 1st 2020 as an important educational element of the PhD training programme. The template, procedure and the letter that has been sent to the VLAG PhD supervisors can be found below:
PhD research proposal TEMPLATE
III - Educational programme
For new VLAG PhD candidates a special course is organised: the VLAG PhD week. This course is a compulsory part of the VLAG education programme.
PhD candidates should spend 15% of their PhD research contract on their education programme. The arrangements regarding the contents of the educational programme are formalised within a Training and Supervision Plan, see below.
More information on
IV - Training and Supervision Plan (TSP)
The TSP is an instrument providing statutory rights and obligations to the PhD candidate and the supervisors.
The TSP contains:
- A description of the educational programme of the PhD candidate. This part of the document should be seen as a declaration of intent and should be formulated upon consultation with the thesis supervisor.
- A description of the teaching responsibilities of the PhD candidate. Teaching duties consist of assistance during laboratory practicals and supervision of undergraduates.
- An agreement concerning the supervision provided by thesis supervisor and co-supervisor.
All PhD candidates are obliged to submit the TSP within 3 months following their appointment.
For more information on the TSP, click here.
Wageningen University PhD guide
- General information about doing a PhD at Wageningen University
- Additional information/explanation on Confidential advice
- At Wageningen University, all expertise in relation to Data Management support is represented at the Wageningen Data Competence Center. Here, you can find information on a wide range of topics like data management planning, managing your source code and publishing your final data. They also offer a course on data management planning.
- WGS Guide for supervisors