Below you will find specific information on the requirements of the VLAG educational programme.
Requirements Education programme for VLAG PhD candidates who started as of 1 January 2021 ("New")
The following breakdown is used to describe the requirements of the VLAG educational programme:
Total minimum 30 ECTS credit points
- Discipline specific activities: minimum 11 credits
- General courses: minimum 6 credits
- Assisting in teaching and supervision activities: maximum 4 credits (no minimum)
- Other activities: minimum 8 credits
For detailed information on the activities and the number of credits, see appendix TSP
PhD candidates who started before 1 January 2021 may choose to use the new TSP while adhering fully to the new requirements, or stick to the former TSP while adhering to the corresponding requirements:
Requirements Education programme for VLAG PhD candidates who started before 1 January 2021
Discipline specific activities ≥ 11 credits
Discipline specific activities can be divided into:
- Courses: this can be VLAG courses but can also be courses organised by other graduate schools in The Netherlands and/or abroad. In case of a poster presentation at a course 0.5 extra ECTS credit points are awarded.
- Courses followed online: Coursera and EdX offer an interesting panel of online courses for free. It is possible to include them in the TSP if
- Your supervisor approves you take this course
- The course is minimally at MSc level or preferably at graduate level. Please note you can get a maximum of 6 credits for courses at MSc level in the category Optionals
- You have to complete the course (take exams etc.) and proof this completion by a certificate.
- Meetings: meetings of 'learned societies' (such as NWO-Nutrition, NWO-Chemistry and NWO Technology Foundation) also count as discipline specific activities.Project meetings of EU-projects can also be included under this heading.
- Training periods at other laboratories: in case the training periods should have the specific aim to learn new techniques.In general 50% of the period spent at other laboratories will be honoured, up to a maximum of 6 ECTS.
- Conferences: In case of a presentation at a congress (oral or poster) 1.0 extra ECTS credit points are awarded. For posters this only applies for new original posters.
General courses ≥ 6 credits
General courses deal with various issues relevant for the professional and personal development of PhD candidates. This category involves competence strengthening courses. Wageningen based graduate schools (WGS) have joined their efforts in coordinating and streamlining the course diversity and quality.
Examples of general courses organised by VLAG or WGS are: Career perspectives, Scientific writing, Supervision of undergraduates, Presentation techniques, Ethics, Didactics and the VLAG PhD week (introduction course for PhD candidates).
Further on a wide variety of courses is offered by other universities, as well as by other (inter)national graduate schools.
Other activities ≥ 8 credits
Examples of other activities are:
Preparation of research proposal (4 ECTS credits)
- Scientific meetings, seminars, colloquia organised within a department/research group (max. 3 ECTS credits)
- Literature study programmes: Credit points can be awarded to literature study programmes which are organised and supervised at departmental level. It is realized that not all departments do have such literature study programmes. (max. 3 ECTS credits)
- MSc courses: Undergraduate courses can be included up to a maximum of 6 credit points. They should be of relevance to the PhD study and you have to pass the exam.
- International PhD excursions
- Organisation of international PhD excursions (1.0 ECTS credits)
Total ≥ 30 credits