The healthy food market is booming. However, adding a biologically active ingredient to a conventional food matrix is not always a smart way to design these foods.
The course is aimed at PhD candidates, postdoctoral researcher, professionals from both academy and industry, that are interested in knowing how to design healthy foods for specific categories of consumers. An MSc level in human nutrition or food science, or alike, is requested. The attendants should have basic knowledge of human digestion processes and of food science and nutrition.
This course provides the essential skills for designing healthy foods for specific categories of consumers in the European legislative framework of nutritional and health claims. A detailed overview of functional ingredients is provided together with a critical discussion of tools to validate the health claims. Presentation of failure cases of healthy food design in the food industry will provide examples of “do;s and don’t” in healthy food design procedures.
Course design and course topics
Through lectures and tutored group activities, the participants will learn:
- Definitions and legislative European framework of nutritional & health claims;
- A step by step approach on how to design healthy foods for specific categories of consumers;
- The main bioactive ingredients for healthy food design and how they behave during gastro intestinal design;
- The consumer perception of healthy claimed foods;
- How to prepare an ESFA dossier for asking for a health claim.
- Prof. Vincenzo Fogliano, Food Quality & Design, Wageningen University & Research
- Prof. Nicoletta Pellegrini, University of Udine, Italy
- Prof. Thom Huppertz, Food Quality & Design, WUR and Royal FrieslandCampina, the Netherlands
- Dr Edoardo Capuano, Food Quality & Design, WUR, the Netherlands
- Other faculty from industry and universities to be announced
Date & duration
The course will be held from Monday 3 till Friday 7 May 2021, with a break on 5 May.
The study load of this course is 1.0 ECTS credits.
The course language will be English.
Information concerning the course contents can be obtained from Prof Vincenzo Fogliano:
For organisational matters please contact: Eva Oudshoorn at email@example.com
Registration & course fee
To register please complete the electronic reply form before 3 April 2021.
Registrations will be accepted in the order in which the registration form and course fee payment are received. Applicants will be informed of acceptance of their registration by E-mail. They will receive instructions for payment and further course details.
Course fee includes downloadable lecture notes, coffee/tea during breaks, lunches, and the course dinner but does not cover accommodation. The course fee depends on the participant's affiliation:
|PhD candidates affiliated with VLAG/WUR *
|| € 275
|All other PhD candidates
|| € 500
|Postdocs/Staff from VLAG
|| € 500
|Postdoc/University staff not affiliated with VLAG
|| € 725
|Professionals / Non academics
* VLAG/EPS/PE&RC/WASS/WIAS/WIAS/WIMEK PhD candidates with an approved TSP.
- No charge until Saturday 3 April 2021.
- 25% of the course fee paid or due till Monday 26 April 2021.
- No refund after 26 April 2021.
Substitutions for participants may be made at any time until the start of the course.
Download and Introduction video of the first course in 2018