Summer Course Glycosciences
17th European Training Course on Carbohydrates
The 17th Summer Course Glycosciences combines general introductions in the field of carbohydrates and glycoproteins with in-depth sessions. This gives participants the opportunity to focus on specific interests without losing a broad education. All lecturers will be present for further discussion with participants.
The course consists of introductory and more in-depth lectures sessions. In addition many interactive elements are part of the programme (e.g. poster sessions, interviews with lecturers, lunches and dinners) to encourage networking between participants and lecturers.
The course is at graduate level. The course is a must for those working in academia, research institutes or industry that want to refresh and deepen their knowledge on carbohydrates and for graduate students working on a PhD project related to carbohydrate chemistry, biochemistry, biology, chemical technology or food science. All participants are encouraged to bring a poster in which they introduce themselves and their work.
- Glycoscience nomenclature
- Analytical techniques for glycosciences
- Molecullar structures and modelling
- (Bio)synthesis of oligosaccharides
- Carbohydrate degrading enzymes
- Glycoscience health & intestinal tract
- Food and non-food applications
- Dr. Ir. M.A. Kabel (Wageningen University and Research)
- Prof. Dr. H.A. Schols (Wageningen University and Research)
- Prof. Dr. M.T.C. Walvoort (University of Groningen)
- Dr. E. Jurak (University of Groningen)
- Prof. M. Wuhrer (Leiden University Medical Center)
- Prof. A. Silipo (Universita' di Napoli Federico II, Italy)
- Dr. R. Albers (Nutrileads, The Netherlands)
- Prof. E. Fadda (Maynooth University, Ireland)
- Prof. B. Moerschbacher (University of Münster, Germany)
- Dr. B. Kuipers (FrieslandCampina, Wageningen, The Netherlands)
- Prof. S. Oscarson (University College Dublin, Ireland)
- Prof. G.J. Boons (Utrecht University, The Netherlands)
- Prof. T. Peters (University of Lübeck, Germany)
- Prof. K. Venema (Maastricht University, The Netherlands)
- Dr. N. de Haan (University of Copenhagen, Denmark)
- Dr. R. de Vries (Utrecht University, The Netherlands)
- Prof. P. de Vos (University of Groningen, The Netherlands)
- Prof. H. Höfte (INRA Centre de Versailles-Brignon, France)
- Prof. L. Lo Leggio (University of Copenhagen, Denmark)
- Dr. H. Leemhuis (Avebe, The Netherlands)
- Prof. H. Wandall (University of Copenhagen, Denmark)
- Prof. F. Lisacek (University of Geneva, Switzerland)
- Prof. F. Vilaplana (KTH Royal Institute of Technology, Sweden)
- Dr. H. Raaijmakers (Royal Cosun, Breda, The Netherlands)
Dr. A. Chakkumkal (Janssen EMEA, The Netherlands)
Date & duration
The course will be held from Sunday 11 - Thursday 15 June 2023. The programme will start with a sparkling opening lecture at Sunday afternoon and will end on Thursday after lunch.
The study load of this course is 1.5 ECTS credits. Participants will receive 0.5 ECTS extra when presenting a poster. Guidelines for presenting a poster can be found under the tab downloads.
The course language will be English.
More information concerning the course contents can be obtained from
Prof. dr. Henk Schols, Dr. Mirjam Kabel and Prof. dr. Marthe Walvoort
For organisational matters please contact:
Mrs Cornelia van Bree-Evers
Location & accommodation
The course venue is WICC (Wageningen International Congress Centre) www.wicc.nl.
The town of Wageningen is 5 km from Ede-Wageningen railway station, with transport options being taxi or bus. Ede-Wageningen railway station is about one and a half hours from Amsterdam Schiphol Airport. For train schedules visit: www.ns.nl.
Accommodation is not included, but a number of hotel rooms have been blocked from 10 - 15 June at WICC for course participants, but only until 13 April (after this date the hotel cannot garantuee availability). Participants have to book a room (single room, including breakfast, € 105,00) at www.wicc.nl/online-boeken mentioning block code 692248 in the block code box (after 13 April you can still use the code if there are rooms available). If you would like to stay longer than the course period, please get in touch with WICC by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org (mention Summer Course Glycosciences, 11-15 June 2023)
Other accomodation options in Wageningen:
Registration & course fee
The course fee includes materials, coffee/tea/snacks and fruit during breaks, lunches and several dinners. However accommodation is not included in the fee.
The fee depends on the participant's affiliation:
|Wageningen University PhD candidates affiliated with one of the Wageningen Graduate Schools||€400|
|All other PhD candidates / Postdocs and staff from VLAG||€600|
|Other University staff / Non -Profit||€850|
|Industry / For-Profit||€2000|